[ome-users] OMERO 4.2.0 ports for clients?

Will Moore will at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Thu Aug 5 15:36:33 BST 2010

Hi Jerome,

On 2 Aug 2010, at 11:50, Jerome Avondo wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm still confused...
>
> Can I just double check...
>
> So I can just have only port 4064 (not 4063) open on my server and
> as long as I select the lock icon in the clients (forcing SSL to
> always on) this is the only port open I require for remote access?

You are correct, you can use only 4064 if you always turn SSL on in
the clients.
However, this isn't something we've tested yet. It's also not an ideal
situation if you don't need to encrypt all your image data, since you
will suffer a performance hit.

So, you will probably benefit from using 2 ports if you can get them.

  Regards,

    Will.

> All this is because I am limited by the number of open ports I can
> have on the university firewall so have only been given one port..
> So if this is possible it would be great.. Otherwise I can try and
> get more open ports, which may take some time... **sigh**....
> Thanks,
>
> J.
>
> CC: jeromeavondo at msn.com; ome-users at lists.openmicroscopy.org.uk
> From: will at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
> To: jason at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
> Subject: Re: [ome-users] OMERO 4.2.0 ports for clients?
> Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 17:00:42 +0100
>
> Hi Jerome,
>
>  The clients use 4064 so that the login is always secure.
>
> If you un-check the lock in the login dialog, this means that data
> exchange AFTER the login is not encrypted, which makes communication
> faster between the clients.
> This is the default, since we imagine that most users do not need to
> encrypt all their image data.
>
>  Cheers,
>
>    Will
>

> On 19 Jul 2010, at 16:54, Jason Swedlow wrote:
>
> Hi Jerome-
>
> Well, we should have been more up front with that change.
>
> 4064 is listed at:
>
> http://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/omero4/server/security
>
> Yes, OMERO Java clients now use 4064.  Apologies for the confusion
> and poor communication.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jason
>
> On 19 Jul 2010, at 16:31, Jerome Avondo wrote:
>

> Hi,
>
> Have I missed something or is OMERO always communicating to java
> clients (ie: insight) using port 4064 now?
>
> My server currently only has port 4063 accessible from the outside
> world. Which I believe was for the un-secured mode.
>
> Since 4.2.0 I can not seem to login via the java clients from the
> outside world. Even if I un-check the lock icon, ie: not using SSL,
> it just seems to want to always use 4064. Or is this just normal
> behaviour and I should add 4064 to my firewall rules?
>
> Thanks,
>
> J.

> **************************
> Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation & Expression
> College of Life Sciences
> MSI/WTB/JBC Complex
> University of Dundee
> Dow Street
> Dundee  DD1 5EH
> United Kingdom
>
> phone (01382) 385819
> Intl phone:  44 1382 385819
> FAX   (01382) 388072
> email: jason at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
>
> Lab Page: http://gre.lifesci.dundee.ac.uk/staff/jason_swedlow.html
> Open Microscopy Environment: http://openmicroscopy.org
>
> William Moore
> Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation & Expression
> [...]

William Moore