[ome-users] Importing .lif images

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Wed Sep 2 21:24:24 BST 2009

Hi Paulo,

I was looking through the mailing list archives and saw Brian's e-mail from
> April, regarding different possibilities for handling images inside .lif
> files. Can you tell me what is the status on that? (Sorry if the
> information
> is available somewhere, I couldn't find it). I'm asking because a user here
> tried importing two .lif files and she complained that the images were all
> together. My server version is 4.0.3, and so are the clients.

I just tested LIF import with a sample file with three image series, and
found that it does create three Images, as expected. They are named
according to the internal LIF names (in my case, "Series004," "Series009"
and "Series009_ProjMax").

So, what exactly is the behavior that your user does not like? Are multiple
image series being combined into a single Image when imported? If so, it may
be a bug in Bio-Formats (try opening the LIF file using the Bio-Formats
Importer in ImageJ and see whether it detects multiple series there, as
well). Or is it something else?

-Curtis