[ome-users] Basic questions

jburel j.burel at dundee.ac.uk
Fri May 1 20:37:38 BST 2009

Hi Colin

> Hi,
>
> I've just installed the OMERO server and client to compare it against
> our current Biotrue data management server. I've read through the
> documentation online but have a couple of easy (probably stupid)
> questions:
>
> 1. How do you download your data using the OMERO.insight client? I
> can't
> find the button. Can you download entire datasets and/or entire
> projects?

you can download an image imported into OMERO from insight.
The blue arrow (See screenshot) will be activated only if you have
selected the "archived" option at import time.
If the archived option is selected, we will keep a copy of the
original file. e.g. MyImage.stk

You cannot download a dataset or a project.
If this is a key feature, we can definitely add it.

> 2. Can you upload non image related files in to projects? The files
> would be microsoft office files (.doc/.xls/.ppt), adobe files
> (.pdf/.ai)
> and some other minor formats. They would most likely have their own
> dataset fold to contain them. Can any of these formats be thumbnailed?
You can attach files to project/dataset/image etc. (click on the +
next to attachment See screenshot)

We have turned on only the formats that we can index.
People have asked us to turn on other formats (won't be indexed). This
will be available in the next versions
The server allows us to attach a thumbnail to a dataset for example
but we didn't have time to implement the functionality in the client and
we didn't have clear requirements from our user base.

Once again, if it is a key feature for you, we can implement it.

> 3. Can you assign permissions for individual users and or groups on a
> per project or per dataset?

Technically, you can,
In this version of the client, we have decided to have everything
"private"
you will be allowed to make a project public (i.e. group visible)
in the next versions.

Ciao
Jmarie