[ome-users] Omero.web on a macX server

Stephen Ogg stephen.ogg at imb.a-star.edu.sg
Tue Jun 16 02:25:08 BST 2009

Hi Alex -

I had the same problem on my Xserve with the 64 bit server vs 32 bit
mod_python and ICE libraries. I could recompile mod_python to be 64
bit compatible, but then ran into the same problem you did, where ICE
is only 32 bit. The solution would really be to have a 64 bit ICE, but
I don't have the skills to make sure that would work with all the
downstream omero stuff.
In the end, I configured the apache webserver to run in 32 bit mode.
Here's how I did it - warning: this may screw up your install so make
sure you make backups, etc. Also, as a further disclaimer, I'm only a
biologist, so anything I tell you regarding computer system
administration may be wrong. There may be better ways of doing what I
did, but here's what worked for me:

On my Xserve running OS X 10.5.7, the webserver application is a fat
binary file called "httpd" and is in "/usr/sbin". If I run the "file"
command on this binary, I get the following results:

sekudu:sbin administrator$ file httpd
httpd: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
httpd (for architecture ppc7400):	Mach-O executable ppc
httpd (for architecture ppc64):	Mach-O 64-bit executable ppc64
httpd (for architecture i386):	Mach-O executable i386
httpd (for architecture x86_64):	Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64

The trick is to (after making a backup) remove the 64 bit
architectures from the binary, that way, it's forced to run as a 32
bit application. To do this you need the "lipo" command

lipo httpd -remove x86_64 -output httpd
lipo httpd -remove ppc64 -output httpd

Those commands remove the 64 bit executables from the fat binary,
rename it as "httpd"  and you're left with the following:

sekudu:sbin administrator$ file httpd
httpd: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
httpd (for architecture ppc7400):	Mach-O executable ppc
httpd (for architecture i386):	Mach-O executable i386

restarting the machine then restarts apache2 as a 32 bit application.
Of course the downside is that it's now running in 32 bit mode rather
than 64 bit. Plus, everytime you update your system software, if Apple
has updated the apache2, your "httpd" will be replaced with a brand
new copy from Apple that will have the 64 bit architectures in the fat
binary -requiring you to remove them again.

The real solution would be to make sure everything the omero needs is
64 bit compatible.

Hope that this is helpful to you and anyone else trying to run omero
on OS X server with 64 bit architecture machine.

Steve

Stephen Ogg
Institute of Medical Biology
8A Biomedical Grove