[ome-users] more detailed install docs?

Björn Quast bquast at evolution.uni-bonn.de
Fri Jun 12 17:53:23 BST 2009

Hello Josh, hello Bram,

thank you both for your quick replies. Now I have a running omero server and
the client programs are working too. Because I have had to much trouble with
the dependencies on my SuSE system I decide to take a distro with precompiled
Ice packages, but forgot to take a look on the versions, so this was my fault.

Björn

> Hello Björn,
>
> Concerning ICE on  Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) I've noticed that it is
> possible to use the ICE 3.3.0 packages for Ubuntu Jaunty. Using these I've
> successfully installed and run Omero Beta 4.0.2 on my 64-bit Ubuntu 8.0.4
> system. See website below for the ICE packages:
>
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/jaunty/+source/zeroc-ice/3.3.0-14ubuntu1
>
> On the right you will find ICE builds for different architectures.
>
> Cheers and good luck,
> Bram Gerritsen
> From: ome-users-bounces at lists.openmicroscopy.org.uk
> [ome-users-bounces at lists.openmicroscopy.org.uk] On Behalf Of
> josh.moore at gmx.de [josh.moore at gmx.de] Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2009 3:09 PM
> To: Björn Quast
> Cc: ome-users at lists.openmicroscopy.org.uk
> Subject: [ome-users]  more detailed install docs?
>
> Björn Quast writes:
>  > Hi,
>
> Hi Björn,
>
>  > after my last try to install omero.v4 server on SuSE I now have set up
>  > an Ubuntu test system, but I am stepping from pitfall to pitfall.
>  >
>  > So in this process I figured out, that:
>  > - Ubuntu 80.4 seems not to work because of older Ice-Packages.
>
> I've added your two OS issues to the webpage for others to
> find. Obviously, that doesn't help you; but we appreciate it
> nonetheless:
>
> https://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/omero4/troubleshooting
>
>  > - I need to use different passwords in "bin/omero config set
>  > omero.db.pass" and "bin/omero db script". I guess it is right to have
>  > the same password for the postgres database and "bin/omero config set
>  > omero.db.pass".
>  > - When "bin/omero admin start" fails it is necessary to stop it again
>  > with "bin/omero admin stop" otherwise the icegridnode-daemon is locked -
>  > I need to login with the username root and the password set in
>  > "bin/omero db script".
>  >
>  > It might really help newbies like me if at least a hint for setting the
>  > different passwords in different skripts is given on the
>  > install-web-site.
>
> Understood. I'll add an extra page trying to clarify the difference
> between the various users/passwords. Sorry for the confusion.
>
>  > Now I will try to find out how to use omero. Hmm, hope it works for me.
>  > Björn
>
> We do, too.
> Cheers,
> ~Josh

Dr. Björn Quast
Universität Bonn
Institut für Evolutionsbiologie und Ökologie
53121 Bonn
Tel.: 0228/735758   email: bquast at evolution.uni-bonn.de