[ome-users] .mrc file import into omero

Daniel James White white at mpi-cbg.de
Fri Jul 10 13:11:27 BST 2009

Hi Will (and Quentin)

On Jul 10, 2009, at 1:29 PM, Will Moore wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
>  I just tried opening a sample .mrc file with the BioFormats
> importer in imageJ.
>
> Although there is a small amount of "original metadata" displayed
> (see below), there is no metadata in the ome-xml, other than the XYZ
> pixel dimensions.

well at least thats something!

> I have no idea how much other metadata is associated with this .mrc
> file or with a "typical" .mrc file or whether BioFormats is missing
> something here?

me neither really... i haven't looked at the .mrc file format spec yet
to see what can be in there...

> However, the reason that the ome-xml is so poorly populated with
> metadata is that EM metadata does not map onto our data model.

Right, i see the issue.

> This fact will also cause problems when you try to import .mrc files
> into OMERO and look for somewhere to put the metadata.
> Your options will be to either create some structured annotations
> for the various pieces of metadata, or to attach a text file with
> the metadata to images.
> These approaches may work on a small scale, but would not scale well
> to large numbers of images.

but at least OMERO could still act as a database for archiving and
organising the images,
and browsing them remotely, along with the ability to add
dcoumentation with omero.editor and tag datasets with keywords etc.

its nice to have ALL the meta data available, but with at least xyz
dimensions the data can be at least viewed with a scale bar.

> A more complete solution would involve altering the database to
> model the EM metadata.

right

> As has been mentioned, we are planning to support EM images in OMERO
> in a project spanning the next 3 years, in a collaboration with the
> EM DB at EBI.
> This includes building a complete data model for EM data (as we have
> done for light microscopy) and implementing this in BioFormats, the
> OMERO server and clients.
>
> As the OMERO team has little experience of EM to date, any help that
> you can provide in this area would be most welcome!

Quentin is the guy here wgho is involved and interested in image
database solutions for electron microscopy,
and i wonder if he might like to help you define the EM meta data model.

He has a much better i dea than i do about that meta data is really
important for EM.

cheers

Dan

dan at chalkie.org.uk