[ome-users] webadmin inaccessible via localhost:8000

Zoltan Cseresnyes zcseresn at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 17:15:55 BST 2009

Dear Listmembers,

I'm installing my 3rd instance of the Omero server and I ran into a problem
I haven't seen before.  The first 2 installations are 4.0.0 on SLES10 32-bit
VMs, and are working fine (webadmin and clients).  The current installation
is 4.0.2 and is on a physical machine with SLES10 64-bit.  The server seems
to start up fine, and then I can log into it from the clients (insight,
importer) as 'root' via localhost:4063.  However, I can't access the
webadmin via localhost:8000 either remotely via ssh, or directly from the
server.  Firefox gives the usual message:

"Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost:8000"

Because of this, I can't add/manage users, so all my tests with the clients
were done as 'root'.
  I browsed the archives of this list because I remembered that others had
this problem before; I did indeed find similar questions as mine, but not
the answers (perhaps the answers were given via private e-mail).
  When I run one or two clients, I can see them with 'netstat' on
localhost:4063; I can't, however, see localhost:8000 listening at all.  What
am I doing wrong?
  Your advice will be much appreciated!

Zoltan

--