[ome-users] Creation date?

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Wed Oct 22 21:44:15 BST 2008

Hi Susan,

Sorry for the delay in my reply. I am not sure why CreationDate isn't
showing up in OMERO. In the course of investigating it, though, we have
fixed a bug in the DateTime parsing for TIFF files that caused some
datestamps to be parsed incorrectly. The latest trunk build of Bio-Formats,
available from the web site at
http://www.loci.wisc.edu/ome/formats-download.html, contains the fix.

Unfortunately, OMERO will not contain the bugfix until its next release, but
you can at least verify that the datestamps are being parsed and
standardized properly with your TIFF files.

If you use the Bio-Formats command line tools (
http://www.loci.wisc.edu/ome/formats-tools.html), you can verify it using
the showinf tool:

showinf myFile.tif -nopix -omexml

This will parse your TIFF, dump the metadata key/value pairs (including
"DateTime" if present) to the console, and then dump the standardized block
of OME-XML, which should contain a CreationDate element beneath the Image
element. OMERO is supposed to be using the value of this element -- if not,
it's likely a bug in OMERO.

As I mentioned before, you can also check your TIFFs using ImageJ. The
latest trunk build contains a new "Display OME-XML metadata" option as part
of the Bio-Formats Importer plugin, which will show the OME-XML tree in its
own window.

If you don't see CreationDate being populated properly, let us know and we
will fix it. However, if the problem is OMERO-specific, I'll have to defer
to the OMERO guys on possible causes.

-Curtis