[ome-users] Creation date?

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Wed Oct 1 20:42:11 BST 2008

Hi Susan,

Where exactly are you are seeing the metadata?

Are you using Bio-Formats in ImageJ? If so, are you checking the "Display
metadata in results window" option? Please note that the metadata displayed
there is in the file's original format, and not standardized to OME.

The "DateTime" key is a TIFF-specific piece of metadata corresponding to the
TIFF's DateTime field (value 306). It will only be displayed if a DateTime
IFD entry was present in the TIFF file.

However, CreationDate is a required field under Image in OME, and
Bio-Formats guarantees that it will be populated one way or another. In the
case of TIFF, any given DateTime will be saved as the CreationDate. If no
DateTime is present, the system's current date and time is used to populate
the CreationDate (this is actually the default for all supported file
formats).

Right now, you can view the standardized OME metadata in ImageJ by choosing
"Data Browser" for "View stack with" in the Bio-Formats Importer Options,
and then clicking the Metadata button when the window pops up. You should
see another window containing a colored XML tree structure, with a
<CreationDate> node beneath the <Image> node in the tree.

-Curtis