[ome-users] Bio-Formats and Omero

Jason Swedlow jason at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Thu Nov 27 19:25:20 GMT 2008

Hi Paulo-

Thanks for this.

On 27 Nov 2008, at 18:56, Paulo Almeida wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> Thanks for the lengthy reply. When a user asked me about QuickTime
> movies, I
> wasn't even thinking of metadata, but of course your concern is
> understandable.

It's really just a matter of priorities and resources.

> Just a thought: depending on the focus of Omero (strictly "serious"
> microscopy
> data, or something broader encompassing science communication, for
> instance),
> it might be worth relaxing the metadata completeness for a few
> formats that
> are widely used in areas other than microscopy (png, jpeg, mov,
> etc). Some
> researchers may want to take advantage of Omero's organization and
> annotation
> features for their poster and paper images, where the original
> metadata would
> not be so important.

Actually, we agree.  Right now, we are doing metadata, because that
has to be right.  We recognise the flexibility people want, which is
why you see JPEG, etc supported.  MOV, AVI, etc.  will come.  We'll
get it scheduled once we get the metadata sorted.

As always, thanks for your support and interest.

Cheers,

Jason

email: jason at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk