[ome-users] OME and OMERO: Release of OMERO-Beta3

Jason Swedlow jason at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Fri Jun 27 18:55:43 BST 2008

Hi-

The OME project is pleased to announce the release of OMERO-Beta3.
OMERO is a Java Enterprise application designed for the management
and visualization of digital microscopy data.  OMERO includes both
server and client applications that install on most operating
systems.  OMERO.server ships with a JBOSS Application Server,
PostgreSQL RDMS, and uses three client applications: Java-based
OMERO.insight and OMERO.importer, and a web browser-based
OMERO.webadmin.  In addition, we are proud to announce our first
release of OMERO.editor, a standalone tool for experimental protocol
editing.

***************************************
Downloads
All OMERO resources are available at the OME software download page:
http://openmicroscopy.org/downloads/

**************************************
Docs and Help
For new initiates, User Guides for OMERO client applications are
included with the client packages.  Do have a look and forward any
questions (see below).  (***NOTE: The User Guides are still for
Beta2.2, Updates are coming***; please use the screencast videos for
up-to-date guides on using OMERO clients).

Screencast videos showing installation and use are at http://
openmicroscopy.org/howto
(***NOTE:  these movies show the Beta2.2 clients and server.  There
is new functionality, especially in the clients, in Beta3.  The new
movies are being prepared now and will be available by July 5.)

*************************************
OS X
OMERO.server installation on OS X is by manual package installation
only.  Supporting OS X 10.4 and 10.5 installation was a bit too
painful.  There are manual install instructions-- see http://
trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/wiki/OmeroInstall and the screencast
video at http://www.openmicroscopy.org/howto/.

************************************
Windows
For OMERO.server install on Windows, see http://
trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/wiki/OmeroInstallWindows

************************************
Upgrading the Database
PLEASE NOTE:  Upgrading an OMERO.server  to Beta requires an update
of the database.  See http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/wiki/
OmeroUpgrade for more info.

***********************************
OMERO.server Upgrade notification
All OMERO applications now check for available upgrades.  More
details, see http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/wiki/
UpgradeCheck.  (***NOTE: this facility is on by default in
OMERO.server, but can be turned off; see the doc for more info).

************************************
OMERO.editor
With OMERO-Beta3, we are releasing our first tool for managing
experimental protocols.  OMERO.editor is a standalone application
that allows users to define their own experimental protocols and
record what they did when they did it, and what they used.
OMERO.editor includes support for external experimental data models
like PSLID, MAGE, and OME-XML, and also allows access to any ontology
available through Open Biomedical Ontologies (http://
obo.sourceforge.net).

See http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/shoola/wiki/OmeroEditor for
more info.  There is a link there for a demo movie-- this will appear
on our Screencast Movies page next week.

http://openmicroscopy.org/getting-involved/

We have been using these applications in our lab for the last few
weeks, so hopefully have most of the bugs.  If we've missed anything,
do let us know.

***********************************
Summary

What's New in OMERO3-Beta3?

Just a very short summary of what's all detailed at:

http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/milestone/3.0-Beta3

and

http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/shoola/milestone/3.0-Beta3

OMERO.server
-- release and support of OMERO.Blitz, the flexible interface for
multi-platform access to OMERO; see http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/
omero/wiki/OmeroBlitz
-- many updates to the API
-- Support for StructuredAnnotations; see http://
trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/wiki/StructuredAnnotations
-- An indexing engine to enable text-based search; see http://
trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/wiki/OmeroSearch
-- Access from Matlab and other external applications; see http://
trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/wiki/OMEROJava
-- for a full description, see http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/
omero/wiki/ServerDesign

OMERO.insight
-- Fully integrated tagging system
-- Redesigned user interface
-- Improved thumbnail loading
-- Support for StructuredAnnotations (you can now attach any
structured data to your OMERO data)
-- Note that previous tags in Beta2.3 have been changed to Projects
and Datasets; for instructions on how to fix this, see http://
trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/wiki/ProdatasetTotags

OMERO.importer
-- More fully developed Import History
-- Support for OME-TIFF and OME-XML
-- Many new file formats (see http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/
wiki/ImporterFormats)

OMERO.editor
-- First Release!!!!!
-- support for user defined protocols, external data models and
ontologies
-- experiments recorded with a calendar, exported with .ics files

Happy imaging (and have a great summer!)

Cheers,

Jason

**************************
Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation & Expression
College of Life Sciences
MSI/WTB/JBC Complex
University of Dundee
Dow Street