[ome-users] User management (LDAP and notifications)

Paulo Almeida palmeida at igc.gulbenkian.pt
Wed Jun 4 16:20:35 BST 2008

Hi Chris,

My ultimate goal is to automate user management (creation, deletion) and
interaction (e-mail to all, for instance) as much as possible, by integrating
it in the institute's infrastructure. I have now talked this over with our IT
department and they seem to be open to the idea of creating an OmeroUser
attribute in the institute's LDAP server, which would solve most of our
problems. The LDAP server has e-mail information, so it would be trivial to
write a script to e-mail everyone.

The only part missing is mapping our institute's groups to Omero groups, which
could be done using an LDAP attribute, but I understand it is not easy. I
don't know much about LDAP, but it seems to be very open regarding semantics
and structure, so maybe it's not possible to come up with a general solution
that would fit every situation. In our case, for instance, it would be ideal
to not only have an LDAP attribute determining the group, but also to use
only part of the value to name the group (our attribute is "o:" and the value
is something like "Unit: Technicians", so I would like to strip the "Unit:"
part from the Omero group).

It's true that I can probably work around this problem by playing with the Web
Interface, I will look into that.

Thanks,
- Paulo