[ome-users] OMERO.server and external connections

josh.moore at gmx.de josh.moore at gmx.de
Fri Jan 25 18:50:05 GMT 2008

Hi Sean. I'll see if I can suggest anything that you haven't tried yet
(which is quite a lot!), but log files from the client and from the
server would be helpful.

Sean Burke writes:
 > Hello all,
 >    I may be beating a dead horse here, but I am having trouble
 > making connections from remote omero clients on a new omero.server (most
 > recent version).  Local clients connect fine.  I have reviewed past
 > questions on this topic and have not found a working answer yet.

So there are two hosts involved: "local" and "remote". A client
running on "local" can also communicate with a server on "local", right?

 > I'll summarize my setup and the attempts I have made to fix the issue.
 >
 > OS:Gentoo Linux, kernel 2.6.23
 > postgres:8.2.6
 > omero:3.0-beta-2.3
 > firewall: iptables configured per OmeroSecurity
 >
 > /etc/hostname (per OmeroTroubleshooting)
 > 127.0.0.1       localhost
 > 192.168.0.25    bactin.singerlab.local bactin

Just to check the obvious: is the client's host ("remote") also in the
192.168 subnet?

 > A local port scan and a scan from an external machine reveal the same
 > open ports: 4444, 5432, 8009, 8080

4444 is great. But do you have 1098 and 1099?
$netstat -nav | grep 1099
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:1099            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN

If not, it may be that the server didn't start up properly, which
would be in the log.

 > local.properties: no changes, default setup.
 >
 > Should the database.host variable be adjusted to reflect the
 > non-localhost name?  My intuition tells me that this is a naming issue,
 > but using the ip address produces the same results.

There are no requirements on the database for client access. It's only
important that you can access the server on "remote" from "local" as
you specify it within insight or importer, whethr via IP or
hostname. Can you ssh to that box? Or ping it?

 > As far as I can tell, the jBoss server is not getting the connection -
 > in other words, it is not getting the opportunity to deny the connection.
 >
 > Thanks for the help!
 > Sean

Not much help yet, but we'll get there.
~Josh.