[ome-users] Connecting to the image server through PHP.

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Fri Feb 22 16:01:54 GMT 2008

Hi Kasthuri,

Can anyone help me by letting me know how one can connect to the OME Image
> Server (OMEIS) through PHP? I am trying to write a script that can pull an
> image from OMEIS and display it on the browser. I tired reading the image
> server documentation but couldn't exactly locate the information on how this
> could be done.

If your PHP code is being served from the same machine as the OME
installation, you might be able to get away with a PHP-Perl communication
layer of some kind (e.g., http://devzone.zend.com/node/view/id/1712).

Otherwise, the OME server remoting infrastructure uses XML-RPC to
communicate. You could use an XML-RPC library for PHP -- googling for "php
xml-rpc" I immediately found http://phpxmlrpc.sourceforge.net/ as well as
http://us3.php.net/xmlrpc, which indicates that perhaps newer versions of
PHP have some built-in XML-RPC capability.

There is a client layer called OME-Java that demonstrates this connectivity
for Java, but unfortunately no one to my knowledge has coded such a thing in
PHP.

There has also been some discussion on the ome-devel mailing list about
XML-RPC (
http://lists.openmicroscopy.org.uk/pipermail/ome-devel/2004-July/000049.html,
http://lists.openmicroscopy.org.uk/pipermail/ome-devel/2005-October/000543.html
).