[ome-users] Import speed

Paulo Almeida palmeida at igc.gulbenkian.pt
Tue Feb 12 10:05:53 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 12 February 2008 00:03, Jason Swedlow wrote:
> Hi Paulo-

Hi Jason,

> Import speed with OMERO  varies with the file format, and it can be a
> problem.   For OMERO to provide images for visualization, it requires
> knowledge of the underlying metadata (min max for each channel,
> etc.).  In some file formats, this is available in the file metadata
> (and is correct!), so we use that.  In other file formats, the data
> is not available, so we have to calculate it.  This really slows
> import down, because there is real calculation to do besides simply
> copying the file.

> Note also that there are number of fixes in Beta-2.3 that will help
> server performance.  Just in case, what kinds of file formats are you
> having problems with?

I only tested STKs, because I was just thinking of file sizes. I suspected the
importer was acquiring metadata, but I wasn't sure. I will test Beta-2.3 and
see how it improves.

> We are working on a general solution for image import, that we hope
> will mean that physically importing the data into the server is not
> necessary.  This will be especially helpful for installations where
> there is already a substantial amount of data and importing into an
> OMERO server is prohibitive.  This won't be available til later this
> year.

That is an interesting solution because the users can then quickly copy their
images to a file server and later import them to OMERO. The downside is that
they have to do two operations (at least with the way things work here), but
you can't have everything. I would say researchers have to weigh the time
they will lose with the new system and the time and safety they will win by
having their images organized and stored, and see if it fits their needs.
Maybe it is not so much a problem of time as it is of changing old habits.

> We announced the Beta2.3 release several weeks ago on this list.  Let
> us know if you are not seeing the emails and we'll look into it.

I was on vacations until late January, so I probably just missed the
announcement. I think I have been getting mail from the list normally

Thanks,
Paulo