[ome-users] OMERO.server data flow

Chris Allan callan at blackcat.ca
Sat Jun 2 10:30:53 BST 2007

On 1 Jun 2007, at 19:52, wormbuff wrote:

> Thanks for the help on getting OMERO.server up and running here.  Now
> some questions about the operations/data flow:
>
> 1) I believe that OMERO.importer stores image data in /OMERO/Pixels.
> Are the imported data (originally .TIFFs in my case) convereted to a
> new format?  I'm curious if the goal of OMERO is to allow users to
> delete the original files.  Also, I'm not certain precisely what the
> "Also archive the original image file(s)" option does during import

Archive original image file(s), copies the original data files to the
server so that you can back to them later if needed. Coupled with the
"Download" feature of OMERO.insight this does potentially (although
we wouldn't advise it during the Beta phase) facilitate deleting the
original file from whatever media it is currently on and just storing
it in OMERO.

> 2) When removing images using OMERO.insight's Edit->Remove option,
> are images ever deleted from /OMERO/Pixels?  Or does this simply
> remove entries in the postgres database?

At the moment, no, as Jean-Marie has already mentioned. Part of the
Beta3 cycle will be exposing delete functionality in OMERO.insight.

> 3) Finally, thumbnails are not displaying in OMERO.insight.  Are
> thumbnails generated in real time, or is OMERO.importer supposed to
> generate them?

The server creates the thumbnails for OMERO.insight in real time.

> Thanks again!

Thanks for your interest.

Ciao.

-Chris