[ome-users] Mac OS X OMERO.server installation

Chris Allan callan at blackcat.ca
Fri Jun 1 10:32:14 BST 2007

On 31 May 2007, at 21:57, wormbuff wrote:

> Apologies for some details that I omitted:

No problem.

> -> I have installed the OMERO.server Beta 1 (Jan 07) .dmg package
> -> I have installed the OMERO.insight Beta 1.1 (Mar 07) .dmg package
> -> I have installed the OMERO.admin Beta 1.2 (Apr 07) .dmg package
>
> I think that postgres is correctly installed and configured (though
> as I mentioned, I had to set a password for postgres to be able to
> "su -l postgres")

sudo su - postgres

or

sudo -u postgres <command>

You should not need a password for the postgres UNIX user and adding
one is not really what you want to be doing for a whole slough of
security reasons.

> -> installation resides in /Library/PostgreSQL8 and is owned by
> postgres/postgres
> -> when I try to Login with .admin or .insight, there is no
> indication in PostgreSQL8.log that an invalid login has occurred
> (though occasionally it is logging

Nor should there be. You'll want to look in /usr/local/jboss/server/
default/log.

> LOG:  could not receive data from client: Connection reset by peer
> LOG:  incomplete startup packet
>
> Is this a problem with my OMERO.server installation or JBoss?  As I
> asked earlier, should I have a jboss-4.0.4.GA directory somewhere in
> my system?  Or does the fact that OMERO.admin/OMERO.insight loads up
> to the splash/login screen indicate that all the Java components are
> properly installed and activated?

The OMERO install page is there to explain how to install manually
from a tarball, it is not a troubleshooting guide for the DMG based
Mac OS X installer. The Mac OS X installer should put your JBoss
server in /usr/local/jboss.

You should first ensure that your JBoss server is running:

ps auxww | grep -i jboss

And that PostgreSQL is running:

ps auxww | grep -i postgres

> Thanks again.

No problem.

As Josh Moore already mentioned, you should ensure that the passwords
in your password table are correct. The root password for OMERO
installed using the Mac OS X installer should indeed be "omero".

Ciao.

-Chris