[ome-users] question re OME XML semantic types for biological material + OME command line interface question/request

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Fri Feb 9 19:27:41 GMT 2007

I can try and have a go at the second question.  The first question
may be better answered by people who've actually used the SPW (screen
plate well) datamodel to process a screen.  Bernd Jagla at Columbia
is one such.  Maybe he'll chime in.

As for running command-line programs from the AE, the reason we let
support for this slide was that it was getting really complicated to
try and deal with all possible ways of executing something from the
command line.  What's desperately needed is a simplification or an
80/20 solution.
Having a use-case (or several) for contrast is a key requirement for
coming up with an 80/20 solution.
So, can you describe the kinds of things you would need in an
interface to deal with your scripts?  There are many options open, so
I realize its kind of an open-ended question, but I think there will
be some significant demand for this, and your use-cases can be the
drivers for implementing such an API.

What do you think?

The fall-back is to write a little-bitty perl wrapper for your
scripts and declare the perl wrapper as your "Handler".  This is how
we deal with FindSpots, which is a 3-D global-threshold segmentation
algorithm written in C, and executed on the command-line.  It reads a
set of pixels and produces a table of "spots" with various measured
parameters (centroid, dispersion, form-factor, etc).

-Ilya