[ome-users] problem with SVG graphics on OSX10.4.7 & some other initial questions

Jason Swedlow jason at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Sun Sep 17 13:41:08 BST 2006

Hi Keith-

Thanks below.  See below

On 15 Sep 2006, at 11:10, Keith.Neil at sanofi-aventis.com wrote:

snip.....

> Hi,
>
> I have installed OME on a Imac intel running osx10.4.7 for a
> microscopist
> here to test, and I had a problem installing the adobe SVG plugin
> on tiger
> (installs, but afterwards doesn't seem to work).
> On safari we get nothing, not even thumbnails of tif's we have
> imported
> into OMEIS.  On Firefox we get thumbnails, but when we click on the
> image
> to view it full size, it redirects us
> to the adobe page to install the svg plugin!!  On the adobe page,
> they say
> that the SVG is no longer supported, and apparently other tiger users
> report that it doesn't work !!

Adobe is withdrawing support for SVG as of Jan 2007.  In the
meantime, we have made FF work.  See

http://lists.openmicroscopy.org.uk/pipermail/ome-users/2006-February/
000320.html

The  SVG plug-in for OS X (http://www.adobe.com/svg/viewer/install/)
works well for Safari.

> Any ideas of work arounds?
>
> Secondly,
>
> We have created some test projects, but can't find any way to
> delete them
> in the web interface??

Deletion is not supported from the web UI.  However, there is a
reasonable system admin tool available from the command line.  See:

http://www.openmicroscopy.org/system-admin/index.html

> Third,
>
> Also, there are users created by the install package like postgres
> & ome
> user, that appear in the list of login users, Im not sure if this is
> optimal?  Is there a way to have these not show up??

This is an OS X system issue.  As always, Google is a great resource
for this.  Here is what I found with "os x hiding users":

http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macosxhints/2006/08/hidelogin/index.php

I haven't tried this, so can't vouch for this.  You might try it on a
test accout first.

PostgreSQL (an independent project; http://www.postgresql.org) needs
the postgres user; we can't change that

> Thanks for any help!

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Jason

> Keith
>

> ------------------------------
> Le présent message ainsi que ses éventuelles pièces jointes est
> exclusivement destiné au(x) destinataire(s), personnes physiques ou
> morales, qu'il désigne.
> Il constitue de ce fait une correspondance à caractère privé et peut
> contenir des informations confidentielles.
> Si ce message vous est parvenu par erreur, nous vous remercions
> d'en aviser
> immédiatement l'expéditeur par retour de ce courrier électronique
> puis de
> le détruire, ainsi que ses éventuellement pièces jointes, sans en
> conserver
> de copie.
>
> This message, including any attachment, is intended for the use of the
> individual or entity to which it is addressed.
> It is therefore to be considered as a private correspondence which may
> contain confidential information.
> If you are not the intended recipient, please advise the sender
> immediately
> by reply e.mail and delete this message and any attachment thereto
> without
> retaining a copy.

**************************
MSI/WTB Complex