[ome-users] OME install fails

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Wed Sep 6 18:51:30 BST 2006

Oh, well of course.
You're one of the people struggling with lovely Apache configurations
resulting from using Apache 2 with mod_perl 1.99.
Please reinstall apache 2 with mod_perl 2, or Apache 1 with mod_perl
1 (1.27 is the last version AFAIK).
Please also make sure that you use packages provided by your OS
vendor to do this (please don't try to do this manually from source
or from random packages you find on the net).
Apache 2/mod_perl 1.99 was an unfortunate stopover from Apache1/
mod_perl1 to Apache2/mod_perl2.  The Apache2/mod_perl1.99 combination
has been known to work on some Red Hat OSes, and known not to work on
several others.  This combination has never been sanctioned by the
apache or mod_perl teams, so its appearance  as the default
configuration on modern distributions is a complete mystery to us.
There is nothing whatsoever wrong with Apache 1/mod_perl 1.27.  The
whole internet was built on that combo.

For the record, this is a Debian system, is it not?
-Ilya