[ome-users] OME install fails

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Fri Sep 1 15:59:35 BST 2006

Although the XMLRPC interface works using HTTP, pointing a browser at
this URL will cause an error because XMLRPC operates solely by POST
requests, whereas a browser generates GET requests unless its
submitting a form.  Remember that you have to change the server URLs
(back-end and omeis) in the Shoola configuration file (config/
container.xml) for it to find your servers.

You can also try the interactive XMLRPC perl client tester here:

perl src/perl2/OME/Tests/XMLRPC.pl
You can supply a shoola URL on the command-line like so:
perl src/perl2/OME/Tests/XMLRPC.pl http://localhost/shoola
Either way, this will prompt you for a login to get an OME session,
after which you can specify raw XMLRPC calls to a local or remote OME
server.  Here's a sample transcript:
Using OME server 'http://localhost/shoola'

Please login to OME:
Username? igg
Password?
Calling createSession (igg,***PASSWORD HIDDEN***)
Got 'e97410fb7cd8217de65cb9041d44efcd'

Method? getDefaultRepository
Parameters:

Calling dispatch (e97410fb7cd8217de65cb9041d44efcd,
getDefaultRepository)
Got 'HASH(0x196fcdc)'
$VAR1 = {
           'ImageServerURL' => 'http://IGG-Lapzilla.local/cgi-bin/
omeis',
           'id' => '4'
         };

Method?

Note that you have to have the perl LWP package installed, which used
to be a dependency for the OME server, but no longer is.  Try
XMLRPC.pl and it will complain that it can't find LWP if you don't
have it.  You can get it here:
http://openmicroscopy.org/packages/perl/libwww-perl-5.69.tar.gz
(tar -zxvf libwww-perl-5.69.tar.gz ; cd libwww-perl-5.69 ; perl
Makefile.PL ; make ; sudo make install)

-Ilya