[ome-users] Image Import Fails Silently

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Thu Jun 29 15:42:49 BST 2006

This might be my fault - I'll look into it.
Is this from CVS - how recently?

About the only way that an error isn't reported is if the apache user
does not have permissions to access your data directory -
specifically read the files that are in there.  Did you set your data
directory to a NFS mounted share by chance, or a restricted user
directory?  On several OSes, especially with mounted shares, I've
seen files that are actually readable, but don't pass the -r test.
The only way to tell is to actually open the file and read it.  I
haven't figured out how to get around that yet.  Well, I guess other
than to go ahead and open them and forget about the -r test.  Another
way is to apply the -r test to the files before displaying them in
the UI.

To see definitively if this is your problem, try this:
sudo -u apache bash -c 'if (test -r foo) then echo "yes"; fi;'

replace foo with the full path of the file you're trying to import.
If the apache user has permissions to read the file, you should see
'yes' as the response.  If the apache user can't then you won't see
anything.
If the apache user can actually read the file, but the permissions
indicate that it can't, then this is the bug I'm talking about - the
importer lists the files in the directory and tests them with the -r
flag before attempting to import them.  If none of the files pass,
then its got nothing to import so it fails silently.

-Ilya