[ome-users] Apache2/Mod_Perl Troubles with OME Install

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Wed Jun 28 18:13:50 BST 2006

On Jun 28, 2006, at 12:19 PM, Guenter Resch wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
>> I've been wrestling with a manual installation of mod_perl 2, since
>> the apt-get command doesn't give me higher than v1.999.
>
> if I'm not mistaken, version 1.999 actually belongs to Apache2 so it
> should be fine ... see also

mod_perl1.99 is an intermediate version that uses a different API
than mod_perl2.  We have also seen many failures with Apache2/
mod_perl1.99 - only RedHat systems that use this combination are
known to work - at least as far as I know.

mod_perl2 does not work with OME 2.4.0 stable - only with what is on
CVS (mod_perl2 was released after OME 2.4.0, and the three mod_perl
APIs - 1, 1.99 and 2 - are not compatible).

> 	http://perl.apache.org/dist/mod_perl-2.0-current/Changes
>
> What I have installed (on a Debian box as well) is libapache2-mod-
> perl2,
> version 1.999.21-1 and the OME install script likes it (though it's
> complaining about other stuff, but that is another story).

It appears that you are installing OME from the root user's home
directory, which will not work:
http://www.openmicroscopy.org/install/before.html

OME 2.4.0 stable doesn't enforce this, which ultimately results in
the failure you've seen.  The current CVS version will check for this
and refuse to do the installation right away instead of waiting for
it to fail.  It does appear that your Apache2/mod_perl1.99 combo is
working on Debian, which is good news, but lets make sure it gets all
the way through before celebrating.

We are very close to releasing OME 2.6.0 from what is currently on
CVS - essentially it is a matter of getting more people to use it to
probe for any bugs that are still lurking in there.  Most of the
developers and users are using the CVS version, which is so far
proving to be quite stable.  To get the CVS version as a regular user
in a regular user's directory:
$ cvs -d ':pserver:anoncvs at cvs.openmicroscopy.org.uk:/ome' login
(Enter "anoncvs" for the password)
$ cvs -z3 -d ':pserver:anoncvs at cvs.openmicroscopy.org.uk:/ome'