[ome-users] OME install on Ubuntu

august august at develop.ment.org
Wed Apr 5 15:09:40 BST 2006

forgot to send to the list.

----- Forwarded message from august <august at develop.ment.org> -----
> Hello August
>
> I received your message via the list. As well as Jason's reply. Since we are
> apparently on the same boat, I take the liberty of sending you the unsuccessful
> result of an attempt of ome install.
>
> I am also afraid to share your experience of different install failure
> depending on the machine, but I did not go so deep into the search of the
> failures, counting on OME's team, who's probably overloaded anyway.
>
> If you have a moment to take a look at those logs and if this type of failure
> is already a familiar case for which you have a cure, this would help me!
> Although not resolving the general issue of OME's install.
>
> I thank you a lot for your advice, if you have a moment..

Claude,

Are you installing on a Mac?

this is the error I found in the logs:

Errors executing task: Apache/mod_perl is not properly configured.  Got
an error response from http://localhost/perl2/mod_perl_test.pl

Most likely, your mod_perl is set up just fine.   What's probably
happening is that the OME install.pl script is not configuring your
apache.conf correctly.

Your apache server needs to be able to find
that mod_perl_test.pl on the www path.  So, to test, go to the machine
you are testing on, and try http://localhost/perl2/mod_perl_test.pl in
your www browser.   If you get a "file not found"  response, then that
is your problem.

To fix, do this for apache2:
	1.) edit the apache2.conf file (under /etc/apache2 on ubuntu) and
add the following
	<IfModule mod_perl.c>
        Alias /JavaScript/ /OME/JavaScript/
        Alias /images/ /OME/images/
        Alias /html/ /OME/html/

        PerlSetEnv PATH /usr/bin/:/usr/local/bin/:/sw/bin/
        <Directory /OME>
                Order deny,allow
                Allow from all
        </Directory>
	ScriptAlias /perl2/ /OME/perl2/
</IfModule>
	2.) then restart apache2.  on ubuntu, do as root
		/etc/init.d/apache2 restart

To fix for apache, try this:
	1.) edit your httpd.conf file (under /etc/apache/httpd.conf )
and add the following:
---------------------------------------
	Include /OME/conf/httpd.web.conf
	Include /OME/conf/httpd.omeis.conf
	2.) then restart apache2.  on ubuntu, do as root
		/etc/init.d/apache restart

After you do that, you will want to run the install.pl script again, but
this time when it asks you to configure the web server, say NO!

That will probably get you past that one error, however you can look
forward to others!  :)

-august.

----- End forwarded message -----