[ome-users] tech queries

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Fri Jun 10 14:44:51 BST 2005

On Jun 10, 2005, at 7:00 AM, Chris Allan wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 11:21:41AM +0100, Alastair Kerr wrote:
>> Dear all,
>
> Hi Alastair.

Hey Kids

>> "Can OME utilise 64 bit dual processor systems - is this worth it"
>> [Alastair: If perl does, OME should - it this correct? I imagine there
>> would be not much speed boost but I can't see why it would be
>> detrimental]
>
> Yes, and in fact in order to work with images larger than ~800MB at
> present you need a 64-bit machine. This 64-bit requirement for such
> images will disappear in 2.4.2.

OME uses swarms of many processes to do its stuff, so every CPU will
end up being used - even with a single user.  With many users, the more
CPUs the merrier.  64-bit systems (Opterons) are used routinely here at
NIH and Dundee (64-bit OS and libraries).  They "don't suck".

>> 2. OMEIS + OME Can be in separate partitions. Do not know enough to
>> figure out how to spread between partitions or to add a partition
>> later
>> ]

OMEIS can be run on an entirely separate system (or systems).  The OME
back-end and OME clients accesses OMEIS using HTTP - even when they are
on the same system.  You can also put the Postgres server itself on a
separate system (or systems).  So you can put OMEIS on a system that
has some kind of more direct connection to your SAN than NFS.  OMEIS
runs a binary CGI behind Apache - it does not need perl or mod_perl.
Then you can put OME itself on a separate box that talks to your OMEIS
over a network (faster is better obviously).

> /OME/OMEIS can be symlinked anywhere you like. Repository files can be
> moved anywhere you like as long as you symlink them as well. Example:
>
> mv /OME/OMEIS /really_big_fs
> ln -s /really_big_fs/OMEIS /OME/OMEIS
>
> --and--
>
> mv /OME/OMEIS/Dir-001 /really_big_fs2
> ln -s /really_big_fs2/Dir-001 /OME/OMEIS/Dir-001
>
> Obvously this does require maintenance and a brief understanding of how
> much data is in which folders.

These are all good ways to manage OMEIS storage.  It dynamically builds
a "balanced" directory tree, so you can move its top-level directories
to different drives/partitions/etc.

-Ilya