[ome-users] tech queries

Alastair Kerr alastair.kerr at ed.ac.uk
Fri Jun 10 11:21:41 BST 2005

Dear all,
we are getting new hardware which will run OME and connect to a remote
SAN for storage. We have some restrictions on what to get but we do have
some leeway.  I have here some queries from the tech guys about OME
functionality. I can partially answer some of them but I would prefer to
make sure.  I've commented my (lack of)  understanding of the issue to
each query. Help much appreciated.

Background:
----------
[SRIF= network with a SAN array used as storage]

The basic setup is we need to buy a box to sit on a local Gb fibre on
the SRIF network with, at present, 3 NFS mounted volumes (more will
follow as we request more space). Each volume is 3Tb.

OME will be run on this system, along with general services to allow
staff access to the space on the SAN system on the SRIF network.

As nothing is stored on the server the disk capacity need only be
minimal.

Questions about the system are:
-------------------------------

"Can OME utilise 64 bit dual processor systems - is this worth it"
[Alastair: If perl does, OME should - it this correct? I imagine there
would be not much speed boost but I can't see why it would be
detrimental]

"How can OME handle the 3Tb volumes, presumably the master db is held on
one, while the data files can be scattered across several"
[Alastair:
My understanding of how OME works is that
1. Files from the microscopes - as long as under the 'data' directory
the web interface can view/import them. Once imported into OMEIS then
they can be deleted. No problems to symlink the dir structure to other
partitions(?)
2. OMEIS + OME Can be in separate partitions. Do not know enough to
figure out how to spread between partitions or to add a partition later
]

"We have a cosign/kerberos based authentication system which can be used
for general ssh logins and web authentication - can OME utilise this,
particularly for the java side (possibly with tomcat?)"
[Alastair: I think this could be an issue  but I do not fully understand
the problem]

"As the server can analyse data what RAM or swap space requirements does
it have, especially if it works on movies"
[Alastair: I assume that the analysis using shoola/web is performed
server side and not client side - therefore I think: as much as
possible...]

"is all OME functionality usable in the situation where all storage for
the program is available as a single NFS mounted volume, and where only
a single uid/gid  (eg OMEuser) is used on that storage"
[Alastair: not sure]

thanks in advance for your input
- Alastair

--
Alastair Kerr, Ph.D.,
Bioinformatician, Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology,