[ome-users] Can a Semantic Type definition be changed?

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Wed Jul 27 14:33:21 BST 2005

The short answer to your subject is: Not easily.

On Jul 26, 2005, at 7:17 AM, Graham Klyne wrote:

>   ome admin data delete MEX -d 27
>   ome admin data delete MEX -d 28
>
> to delete the module executions.  e.g.
>
> [[
> [omeadmin at helenome ~]$ ome admin data delete MEX -d 27
> Retreived MEX ID = 27
> ++MEX 27: Original files
>   Output = Files (OriginalFile)
>   Node execution 12
> --MEX 27: Original files
> ]]
>
> They appear to be removed when I perform a search for module
> executions using the web interface.  But I still see the new custom
> annotation in the web interface, and I still cannot import the changed
> semantic type definition.

The deletion logic doesn't go as far as deleting STs.  There's actually
no way to "know" that a particular STD came from a particular
OriginalFile - only the data itself is tracked like this, not the data
type definition.  It should be possible to delete an STD by extending
the delete utility (src/perl2/Util/Delete.pm).  The mechanism would be
somewhat similar to the module deletion mechanism:  Gather up all the
MEXes for the STD in question and send them all to the recursive MEX
deletion algorithm.  Then go ahead and delete the STD itself.  This
would entail manually calling deleteObject() on the required DBObjects.
  The DB won't let you commit the transaction unless you manage to do it
cleanly.

-Ilya