[ome-users] Schema for instrument/magnification - how to use?

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Wed Jul 20 06:20:41 BST 2005

Its like you're listening in to our lab-meetings, Graham.

There is no UI targeted at Instrument annotation.  The data-model is
there, but there is no easy to use UI for it.  The general ST
annotation mechanism is not really adequate unless you are intimately
familiar with the instrument datamodel as expressed with STs.
Unfortunately, the instrument model is somewhat complex, so the general
UI is not the greatest.  What can I tell you?  We're working on it.

Actually it was hoped (for those listening in) that instrument
manufacturers would play some sort of role in this.  Its their
instrument design after-all.  It would not be very difficult for them
to ship an OME XML file that fully describes the instruments they sell
you.  But alas, many scientists will probably need to describe the same
instruments dozens of times before we get computer-parseable instrument
descriptions from the manufacturers.  But I digress.

Given an instrument description (which is probably easier to do in XML
than in the Web UI, BTW), the idea is to have a series of drop-down
menus to adjust settings for a particular image or group of images.  We
fully realize that if there are more than three or four clicks involved
(hopefully its not just one or two), no one would ever do it, so we're
trying to come up with a UI that takes this into account.

On Jul 19, 2005, at 3:42 PM, Graham Klyne wrote:

> I'm looking through the XML scema for "instrument" in OME [1].  I see
> there is an element for the objective lens, with a magnification
> factor value.
>
> The researchers here also use, and wish to record, an "optivar"  with
> possible magnification values of 1, 1.25, 1.6, 2.  Am I overlooking a
> schema element for this?

Nobody's ever mentioned an optivar before.  Is that something we all
overlooked?

> I'm also a bit puzzled by the user interface for adding information
> about the instrument:  it seems the instrument annotation can be
> attached to a dataset in the UI (even though it is used in the
> top-level <OME> element in the XML schema description).  The drop-down
> list shown on the dataset display provides only two options, but if I
> select "create" anyway, a further drop-down list with many more
> options is provided.  Selecting instrument, I get a form for entering
> microscope type, srial number, etc., but there is no option there for
> entering objective data.  It feels to me as if there is a disconnect
> between the schema and the interface, but I'm not seeing any logic for
> this.
>
> Having created some description of the instrument, and clicked "create
> instrument", there is no indication that any information has been
> attached to the dataset.  I fear I'm getting completely lost and
> confused by the user interface here.

The instrument and its components are global objects.  The fact that
you were looking at a dataset doesn't matter - they are never
associated with a dataset.  You can certainly use the search interface
to convince yourself that its there.

-Ilya