[ome-users] Schema for instrument/magnification - how to use?

Graham Klyne Graham.Klyne at zoo.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jul 19 20:42:55 BST 2005

I'm looking through the XML scema for "instrument" in OME [1].  I see there
is an element for the objective lens, with a magnification factor value.

The researchers here also use, and wish to record, an "optivar"  with
possible magnification values of 1, 1.25, 1.6, 2.  Am I overlooking a
schema element for this?

I'm also a bit puzzled by the user interface for adding information about
the instrument:  it seems the instrument annotation can be attached to a
dataset in the UI (even though it is used in the top-level <OME> element in
the XML schema description).  The drop-down list shown on the dataset
display provides only two options, but if I select "create" anyway, a
further drop-down list with many more options is provided.  Selecting
instrument, I get a form for entering microscope type, srial number, etc.,
but there is no option there for entering objective data.  It feels to me
as if there is a disconnect between the schema and the interface, but I'm
not seeing any logic for this.

Having created some description of the instrument, and clicked "create
instrument", there is no indication that any information has been attached
to the dataset.  I fear I'm getting completely lost and confused by the
user interface here.

#g
--

[1]
http://cvs.openmicroscopy.org.uk/horde/chora/co.php?f=/OME/src/xml/OME/Core/Instrument.ome

---
Graham Klyne
Image Bioinformatics Research Group (http://www.bioimage.org/)
Department of Zoology, University of Oxford
South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3PS, UK
E-mail: <Graham.Klyne at zoo.ox.ac.uk>
Direct phone: +44-(0)1865-281991
Departmental fax: +44-(0)1865-310447