[ome-users] What did OME ever do for us?

Graham Klyne Graham.Klyne at zoo.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jul 18 13:21:03 BST 2005

(with apologies to Monty Python and others for the subject line...)

Now that I have OME up and running and able to import microscope images, I
am exploring the extent to which it can help us with our image+annotation
requirements.  I have some specific questions, but first I'll try and
outline what we're trying to do, in case we're trying to do something that
isn't reasonable to expect OME to handle.

The research project I'm supporting aims to create a database of images of
in situ gene expression in drosophila testes.  To create these images, the
researchers go through a fairly involved process of gene selection, gene
expression analysis and in situ gene expression image creation. Image
acquisition is very much toward the end of the overall experimental
procedure, and the resulting images are not (in the current procedure)
subjected to subsequent computer analysis.  What we do want to do is to
cross-refer the images to details of genetic and other information from
preparatory steps, and also to capture researcher annotations at the time
of image acquisition (noting that researchers can often see more through
the microscope than they can see in the resulting computer images).

At the present time, we're not trying to use OME for capturing the
preparatory information.  What I am trying to do is use OME to capture
researchers' observations and annotations in a structured form at the point
of image acquisition and importation to OME, with the possibility of adding
additional annotations later.  These will later be combined with the
genetic information and researchers conclusions to create a database for
final publication.

 From this, I hope it's clear that what is important to us is capturing
researchers' observations and annotations about images, rather than
automated image analysis, which appears to be OME's primary target.  The
incorporation of annotation as an OME "module execution" seems to support
this kind of use, but I'm not sure how the annotation features are intended
to be used.

So to my specific questions:

1. How are custom annotations intended to be used?

2. How to create new annotation metadata structures?

Details follow.  If these questions are answered in existing documentation,
please just provide pointers.

1. How are custom annotations intended to be used?  I have tried to use
custom annotations as follows, using the web browser interface:
- create a dataset and import an image into that dataset
- I have successfully created "DatasetAnnotation" and
"DatasetTestSignature" annotations for the dataset by selecting the
corresponding listbox entries and clicking on "Create a custom
annotation".  (I don't know if the values I entered make sense, but they
have been stored and are retrievable as part of the dataset metadata.)
- I then tried to use a similar procedure to create a custom annotation for
the image.Selecting "ImageExperiment" as the type of custom annotation, I
am asked to create an "Experiment" and an "Experimenter", which I duly do,
filling in all the proffered fields and clicking the corresponding "Create
..." buttons.
- The "Image experiment" dialog ends up with an experiment identified by a
number ("38" in my case) and an image (the one I am annotating), but
nothing that seems to reflect the information just entered.  Clicking on
"Create image experiment" returns me to the original screen, but it's not
obvious that the annotation has been added.  (I now notice that it appears
in the "Module execution" list, but not at the top or bottom of the
list.  The first time I tried something like this, the new information
appears to have been lost.)

My question is:  the above procedures seem non-obvious and error prone; are
they consonant with how the annotation feature is intended to be used, or
am I overlooking something?

2. How to create new annotation metadata structures?  A simpler question
with, I suspect, a more complex answer, but hopefully one that can be
addressed by a pointer to relevant documentation.

We aim to capture data in a semi-structured form that can be exported to a
semantic web database for further cross-referencing with other information
sources.  The built-in custom annotations seem to support the right kind of
general structures for this purpose.  Are the form displays linked directly
to the XML metadata schema, or is there an additional
presentation-description component?  How do I go about adding additional
metadata to OME?  Can the metadata format be dynamically updated, or does
this require a re-build of the database?

Thanks for any insights or pointers that anyone can offer.

#g

---
Graham Klyne
Image Bioinformatics Research Group (http://www.bioimage.org/)
Department of Zoology, University of Oxford
South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3PS, UK
E-mail: <Graham.Klyne at zoo.ox.ac.uk>
Direct phone: +44-(0)1865-281991
Departmental fax: +44-(0)1865-310447