[ome-users] OME installation, Apache configuration problem

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Thu Jul 7 18:11:12 BST 2005

On Jul 7, 2005, at 12:45 PM, Graham Klyne wrote:

> I'm running into a brick wall installing OME 2.4.0 on Scientific Linux
> 4 (a clone of RedHat Enterprise Linux 4).
>
> All installation phases prior to the Apache configuration step are now
> running OK. The following error is reported during the Apache
> configuration step:
> [[
> [Thu Jul 07 18:03:34 2005] [warn] The ScriptAlias directive in
> /OME/conf/httpd2.omeis.conf at line 2 will probably never match
> because it overlaps an earlier ScriptAlias.
> Testing Apache configuration
>   \__ mod_perl [FAILURE].
>

> Errors executing task: Apache/mod_perl is not properly configured.
> GATEWAY_INTERFACE is "CGI/1.1" in CGI test instead of "CGI-Perl/1.1".
> CGI test: http://localhost/perl2/mod_perl_test.pl
> See /var/tmp/OME/install/ApacheConfigTask.log for more details. at
> (eval 158) line 1
>
>  at install.pl line 80
>         main::run_tasks() called at install.pl line 249
> # Looks like your test died before it could output anything.
> [root at delos OME]#
> ]]
>
> More detailed information from the log file can be seen here:
> http://bioimage.ontonet.org/moin/OpenMicroscopyEnvironment?
> action=show#head-ec852804c9e6d813d47e04bc1099c562ae7e8cb7
>
> As far as I can tell, I have Apache running quite happily with
> Mod_perl, and the test results themselves seem to indicate as much.  I
> cannot find any indication of what the problem is here, or what I doi
> to fix it.

What tests did you run to determine that Apache/mod_perl is running
happily?
If it was serving the test script through a mod_perl interface, the
GATEWAY_INTERFACE environment variable should have indicated CGI-Perl.
That's what it says in all the Apache/mod_perl combos we know of.
It could well be that Apache is installed correctly with mod_perl, but
various ScriptAlias directives are conflicting or preventing things in
/OME/perl2 from executing via the mod_perl gateway.  There's apparently
a conflicting ScriptAlias directive for omeis in your installation.
OMEIS doesn't need mod_perl, but this is a strange error nonetheless.

Copy the test script out of the log file and save it as a file wherever
your ScriptAlias is configured to go through mod_perl.  Then do a GET
for this script from your browser.  You should see all the environment
variables available to the script.  There has to be some indication
there that its running via mod_perl.  If so, please let us know what
those are.  If not, there's a problem with your ScriptAlias directives
and/or the mod_perl installation.  The actual OME web server (serve.pl)
should be in the same directory as your working test-script.

-I