[ome-devel] Proposal for 4D Nucleome Microscopy Metadata Guidelines based on the OME data model

Joshua Moore (Staff) j.a.moore at dundee.ac.uk
Wed May 22 21:53:42 BST 2019

A week ago[1], Caterina kindly organized a (very early US-morning!) call for users and developers who had responded with interest to this proposal, including individuals from the 4D Nucleome Imaging Standards Working Group, German BioImaging, RIKEN, and the University of Dundee. A number of uses & benefits of the distinctive features she listed were discussed with the general consensus being that having a way to flexibly capture more metadata about image acquisition would support a large number of different groups, from vendors to bench scientists.

The primary issue raised, however, was the speed of the OME-XML schema release cycle as well as the necessary related code changes and database upgrades for developers and sysadmins. Norio presented his work on translating the OME-Model into RDF/OWL[2]. The “open world assumption” of RDF/OWL means that a schema update is not needed for someone to make new and interesting statements about an experiment.

With this type of extension mechanism, the community (i.e. *you*) should be able to propose terms and values that you would like to capture within OME-XML / OME-TIFF, while still having the guarantee that as the model evolves, we will keep your data up-to-date. Developers should be able to build flexible GUIs for parsing, displaying, and editing these values. Curators and standards bodies should be able to cooperate to manage this expanding vocabulary.

At the moment, Caterina, Norio, & Co. are investigating revising the proposal to make use of RDF & OWL. At the same time, the extension framework will need to be specified for allowing the import and export of extended metadata within the OME ecosystem.

Various parts of this work will soon start showing up in the ome-model repository[3], but we look forward to your thoughts -- from what elements other than <Instrument/> you would like to extended to what vocabularies you could imagine yourself using.

All the best,

~Josh

[1] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mSd6BRF-82Usgsda9DNYUdmDMIR5cDoTzgiHLVXkcPU/edit#

[2] https://gitlab.com/openmicroscopy/incubator/ome-owl/issues/1#note_81349655