[ome-devel] Cannot create loci.formats.in.FakeReader object in MATLAB bioformats

Sebastien Besson (Staff) s.besson at dundee.ac.uk
Fri Feb 22 15:29:35 GMT 2019

Hi,

Thanks for the additional information and notably including the MATLAB/Java version.

Bio-Formats 6.0.0 bumps the minimal supported Java version to 8 [1]. For MATLAB users, this means it is no longer possible to use old versions of MATLAB shipping JVM 7 natively with Bio-Formats 6. There are two possibilities:

- if possible, upgrading to MATLAB R2017b or later is recommended. R2017b is the first version which ships an embedded version of Java 8 [2]
- if upgrading is not a possibility, it should be possible to point MATLAB at a different JVM than the embedded  one [3].
I quickly tested the latter process on CentOS6/MATLAB R2013b to point at local JDK8 and was able to successfully load the Bio-Formats 6 toolbox.

Can you try one of these options and let us know if you encounter more issues?

From our side, we will clarify the impact of the Java bump for the MATLAB community in our technical documentation in an upcoming patch release. Thanks for bringing this problem to our attention.

Best,
Sebastien

[1] https://docs.openmicroscopy.org/bio-formats/6.0.0/about/whats-new.html