[ome-devel] Can I Add Thumbnails to BioFormats .ome.tiff File

David Gault (Staff) d.gault at dundee.ac.uk
Mon Jun 26 15:03:55 BST 2017

Hi Michael,

Currently the OME Data Model does not specifically support the storing of thumbnails although this is something that we would like to look into specifying in the future.

Within the FormatTools utility class you can find the openThumbBytes method which provides a default implementation of generating a thumbnail from an existing image. The implementation can vary for different format readers but the default behaviour is to scale the image to a size of 128 x 128:
http://downloads.openmicroscopy.org/bio-formats/5.5.2/api/loci/formats/FormatTools.html#openThumbBytes-loci.formats.IFormatReader-int- <http://downloads.openmicroscopy.org/bio-formats/5.5.2/api/loci/formats/FormatTools.html#openThumbBytes-loci.formats.IFormatReader-int->

Additionally for TIFF format readers the default behaviour checks each TIFF IFD for the tag ‘IFD.NEW_SUBFILE_TYPE’. If the tag has a value of 1 then the IFD is added to a list of thumbnailIFDs rather than the standard IFD list. The 2 separate lists can then be read using ‘getIFDs’ and ‘getThumbnailIFDs’. If the thumbnailIFD list is present then it is used for openThumbBytes rather than the default FormatTools method above:
http://downloads.openmicroscopy.org/bio-formats/5.5.2/api/loci/formats/in/MinimalTiffReader.html#getThumbnailIFDs--
http://downloads.openmicroscopy.org/bio-formats/5.5.2/api/loci/formats/in/MinimalTiffReader.html#getIFDs--
http://downloads.openmicroscopy.org/bio-formats/5.5.2/api/loci/formats/in/MinimalTiffReader.html#openThumbBytes-int-

With Thanks,