[ome-devel] CLI render - and a philosophic question re: rendering settings

Damir Sudar dsudar at lbl.gov
Thu Aug 10 22:49:12 BST 2017

Hi Josh and whoever is interested,

I'm finally gearing up to upgrade to 5.3.3 for all its great new
capabilities and was trying some stuff on my 5.3.3 test server. One of
those was the render.py script that, per below, wasn't really usable in
vanilla 5.2.x. Unfortunately I get the exact same exceptions with 5.3.3
so I guess I should wait for 5.4? Or is the situation with 5.3 more
solvable?

Now the philosophical question: as in IDR, we have a very large image
dataset that we are quantitatively analyzing and also want to show
visually. This is part of a large project to asses the effects of a set
of perturbing agents (perturbagens) on a panel cell lines, where in our
case a large panel of different microenvironment components and drugs
are used as the perturbagens. During import into OMERO each image gets
its rendering settings from the min/max values in the image itself so
all images have different settings and the unsuspecting viewer may see
all kinds of interesting intensity effects that are mostly fake while
real effects may be masked. So I'm looking for a general way to set the
rendering settings across the entire experiment to something that allows
comparing images but doesn't generate loads of black and
over-exposed-looking images. I was thinking that you guys encountered
this same issue with many of the IDR datasets so was hoping for some
wise thoughts.

Anyway, this is why I'm so interested in the render.py utility and thus
my hope it will make it to production-level soon.

One thought to be able to display the larger dynamic range needed for
the above (and which is not really possible with the current linear
scaling between min and max values), is the idea of supporting
non-linear colormaps for the rendering. I saw some mentions of a
CodomainMap in the RenderingEngine docs. Would that be a future way to
support non-linear scale transforms such as gamma curves and such?

Cheers,
- Damir