[ome-devel] Apache and MacOS X 10.9 support

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Fri Sep 30 14:16:52 BST 2016

Hi Jean-Marie & everyone,

> This effort will enable, among other things, more flexibility in
> dependencies management and improve deployment. As part of this work,
> we are considering dropping support for Apache

I think this decision makes a lot of sense -- especially if the OME team
continues to pursue using Docker images as a supported way to get an OMERO
system up and running in production. This would allow a much narrower focus
on supported technology stacks. E.g.: the Discourse forum software (
http://discourse.org/) ships as a Docker container as its sole distribution
mechanism, and it works incredibly well, completely painless to get up and
running, as well as offering one-click upgrades. Docker would also provide
a way to deploy OMERO on Windows and macOS boxes. :-)

Regards,
Curtis

--
Curtis Rueden