[ome-devel] exporting images from old version of OMERO

Phil Chapman Phil.Chapman at cruk.manchester.ac.uk
Fri Sep 30 10:57:53 BST 2016

Hi,

Our institute has the commercial Columbus software which happens to use OMERO 4.4.11.10 as its image repository, and for this reason I was hoping that this group might be able to help.

We are in the process of generating a large compound screening dataset (in the region of 100 384-well plates) and to analyse this data we want to make use of our 1000-core linux cluster that we typically use for NGS analysis rather than the 32 core cluster that Columbus is hosted on (we have estimated that analysing our dataset would take 3 days on this!!).  I have done some test exports from Columbus into the OME-TIFF format (using Columbus Helper), and have analysed data using the R EBImage package and this all works just fine.  However, since Columbus Helper is only available for Windows and Mac, I want to develop a programmatic way to do this transfer straight to the linux cluster.

I can connect to the OMERO repository just fine with OMERO.insight and view the data structure and see images, but the batch export functionality and any processing or exporting doesn’t work because it can’t find a processor to use – presumably it’s set up in such a way that OMERO only stores images rather than processes them?

Does anyone have any suggestions given that this is quite an old version of OMERO, and that the OMERO server doesn’t seem to have any compute resources.  If someone could point me in the right direction then that would help greatly!  I’m hoping there’s some sort of Python or Java API I can make use of maybe?

Thanks in advance,

Phil Chapman
Drug Discovery Group
CRUK Manchester Institute

This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the person(s) ('the intended recipient') to whom it was addressed. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute or the University of Manchester. It may contain information that is privileged & confidential within the meaning of applicable law. Accordingly any dissemination, distribution, copying, or other use of this message, or any of its contents, by any person other than the intended recipient may constitute a breach of civil or criminal law and is strictly prohibited. If you are NOT the intended recipient please contact the sender and dispose of this e-mail as soon as possible.