[ome-devel] Genomewide bioinformatics data entry into OMERO with missing images.

Josh Moore josh at glencoesoftware.com
Fri Jun 10 08:57:07 BST 2016

Migrating this discussion to the mailing list. Discussion inline. ~J.

On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 4:41 PM, Ilan Davis <ilan.davis at bioch.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi Josh
>
> That is really good to know - thanks for these quick and clear answers.
> Being able to use the tags and metadata without images associated with some
> of them will allow us to try some very cool things - entering genome wide bioinformatics data in
> the OMERO database (and then viewing it in Zegami) so that to use
> preexisting data as a way to classify and intersect with future data will help decide what to image and
> add to the database of images.  This is a really different way to do
> microscopy than what we are used to and a very effective way to make use of
> bioinformatic and other data from a wide range of sources in an integral
> manner to OMERO. It will take some major thought before we implement this, incase it slows
> the OMERO DB down drastically.
>
> Do any of you see any potential performance issues?  i.e. entering genome
> wide bioinformatics data into OMERO but only populating a very small sub set
> of the gene tags with images.
> e.g. an OMERO DB with 13,000 gene tags and IDs but only say 1000 of the
> genes having associated images.

I don't know of any particular performance issues.

> One would need a way to show/hide
> information where no images exist for the particular tag.
> What would be the most efficient way of doing that?  Can one populate a key
> value pair automatically with image present / absent automatically?
> Any other ideas?

We'll most likely hit workflow limitations first. At that point, it'll
be best to have someone on your side who can prototype something (a la
webtagging) get it to users and relay performance / platform issues to
us.

> I did not add this to the list / Forum because I do not know which one to
> use or how. But I am happy for this to be placed by anyone else there for
> discussion.

Anyone else trying something similar? Thoughts?

> Regards
> Ilan

~Josh