[ome-devel] Collaborate on omero-web figure

William Moore will at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Mon Jul 13 22:56:51 BST 2015

Hi Kai,

 Thanks for the suggestion (and Sebastien for replying).

As Sebastien says, you'd need to be in a Read-Write group to allow multiple users to edit the same figure.
This might be a problem if you don't want read-write permissions on ALL other data in the group.

Another issue is how to allow different users to edit the same file without potentially
overwriting each other's changes.
OMERO.figure doesn't support google-docs style of editing (where every change is atomic and the diff is
saved to the server).
Instead, the whole file is saved each time, so if 2 users were editing a figure at the same time,
there's no way to merge both their changes.
You'd need a "lock" on the file to tell you that another user was currently editing and ensure that
only 1 user edits at a time.

I guess something like a simple "lock" shouldn't be too hard to implement, so the main question
is still the issue of Read-Write permissions on figures, IF you don't want Read-Write permissions
on all your other data.

 Cheers,

  Will.