[ome-devel] Omero and docker

Harri Jäälinoja harri.jaalinoja at helsinki.fi
Fri Jan 16 15:49:34 GMT 2015

On 15/01/15 21:47, Josh Moore wrote:
> Will do. My other question for Hadrien was going to be whether we
> could consolidate some of the base images into
> https://registry.hub.docker.com/repos/openmicroscopy/  . I think in
> general every involved group if not even every site will want to have
> their own Dockerfiles and fig configuration. It will be more our goal
> to reduce the cost of maintaining those.

Hi Josh,

just a comment, I think Dockerfiles and images maintained by
openmicroscopy would/will be great to have. The less lines I need to put
in my Dockerfile, the less possibilities for errors :)  In fact, also
not I first tried to use openmicroscopy/omero-base, but ran into some
strange error which Google hits suggested might have something to do
with AUFS and available number of layers. Just to try something, I
copy-pasted omero-base and it's parent into one Dockerfile and made it
start from ubuntu:14.04, and it worked.

Simon said you use Docker for testing and CI, I think this area would
useful for us, who maintain the images based on the base images. I'd
like to learn to set up a system where also the images I create are
automatically tested, so that updates will be less worry.

Cheers,
Harri