[ome-devel] Builds of OmeroCpp

Damir Sudar dsudar at lbl.gov
Thu Feb 26 22:13:41 GMT 2015

Hi Josh,

>> After a couple of days of looking at OmeroCpp 5.0.8 and finding that we
>> really do need something that can work on Windows, and we of course bumped
>> into the error "LINK : fatal error LNK1189: library limit of 65535 objects
>> exceeded static lib". So the question: if we build OmeroCpp for 5.1-m4, how
>> much trouble will we have connecting to a server running 5.0.8? Will basic
>> operations such as image retrieval work?
> Highly unlikely to work at all.
Bummer. So we'll have to wait on that until 5.1 is ready for production.

>> And the alternative to that query: is there a way to successfully build
>> OmeroCpp 5.0.8 on Windows with a work-around for the linking issue?
> No immediate workarounds like setting some property, etc. I assume
> your Visual Studio version requires Ice 3.5?

Yes, we discussed whether to go down the path of Ice 3.3 (which
reportedly creates a small enough object list) but according to ZeroC,
you're then stuck with VS 2008 and we have a bunch of other tools and
libs (e.g. Qt) that may or may not work with such an old Visual Studio.
So unless that's the only way to go, we'd like to avoid.
In the long discussion on:
https://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/ome/ticket/12229, Roger et al.
figured out a way to split the DLL into 2 parts that appears to be
implemented in 5.1-m4. Would there be a reasonably easy way to do a
similar thing for 5.0.8?

Thanks,
- Damir