[ome-devel] BIOFORMATS bug report from a user: GATAN dm3 not read correctly

Balaji Ramalingam b.ramalingam at dundee.ac.uk
Wed Sep 10 21:08:06 BST 2014

Hi,

Thank you for reporting your bug.
A ticket has been filed on this regard,
https://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/ome/ticket/12559

You have been added to the cc list and will get notified on the updates.

Best,
Balaji

__________________

Mr Balaji Ramalingam

Software Developer

OME Team

College of Life Sciences

University of Dundee

From: Marco Moller <mmoller at cicbiomagune.es<mailto:mmoller at cicbiomagune.es>>
Date: Tuesday, 9 September 2014 17:46
To: Balaji Ramalingam <b.ramalingam at dundee.ac.uk<mailto:b.ramalingam at dundee.ac.uk>>, "ome-devel at lists.openmicroscopy.org.uk<mailto:ome-devel at lists.openmicroscopy.org.uk>" <ome-devel at lists.openmicroscopy.org.uk<mailto:ome-devel at lists.openmicroscopy.org.uk>>
Subject: RE: [ome-devel] BIOFORMATS bug report from a user: GATAN dm3 not read correctly

Hello,
I uploaded the GATAN dm3 file containing the image with a negative value to a pixel set, and found this to be the reference to the image:  QA Bug | 9526 (new).

Let me take the chance and add some further, important observations I did today:
I found , that going in FiJi the following way, then the data import works correctly for my dm3 with a negative value stored for a pixel:
File --> Import --> Bio-Formats
After selecting the file of interest, a dialog window  "Bio-Formats Import Options" appears, and having answered the default settings the import does work correctly! This Options dialog appears always again if importing a dm3 file.

But, if only importing in FiJi data in the following way, then the bug appears the same as it appears using the MATLAB front end for the Bio-Formats import function ‘bfopen’:
File --> Open…
does not work correctly.

Apparently, the FiJi "File --> Open…" path uses some identical step as the MATLAB /Bio-Formats command 'bfopen' does, while the "File --> Import --> Bio-Formats" path does something different which works flawless.

I for sure downloaded and installed and use this MATLAB toolbox for using Bio-Formats in MATLAB and believe to have the older LOCI things deleted:
http://downloads.openmicroscopy.org/bio-formats/5.0.4/artifacts/bfmatlab.zip

I further believe to remember correctly that I downloaded and installed FiJi, and somehow remember that there was something about ImageJ2 support, which I for sure didn´t reject, whatever it was. If there has been any choice to get FiJi in different versions, then I believe I decided for the FiJi with version ImageJ2 in use. I remember quite well that I decided to not install ImageJ and LOCI plugin anymore but to install for convenience the all-inclusive package FiJi, because I read that then the LOCI bioformats would be integrated, and FiJi update mechanism would also update that bioformats part then.

I am now confused to have seen somewhere on the screen (not sure if it actually was in FiJI or MATLAB), that some SCIFIO is somewhere in use or has been mentioned in a message when opening / importing a dm3 file. I am further confused because I thought to have read somewhere that if the LOCI plugin would be installed that then ImageJ would automatically  use it in the standard "File --> Open…" path if needed. I am completely confused if I am actually using now the LOCI plugin in ImageJ, or the OME Bio-Formats import filter, or some SciFio thing or whatever, but this should not be the topic here in my bug report.

In summary: for sure the MATLAB 'bfopen' command does not produce the correct result, and the FiJi "File --> Open…" menu neither, but the FiJi "File --> Import --> Bio-Formats" menu apparently works correctly.

Best greetings from the EM-Labs of CIC biomaGUNE,
Marco Möller

Marco Möller
Platform Manager - Electron Microscopy

CIC biomaGUNE