[ome-devel] OMERO developments in Montpellier

Jean-Marie Burel j.burel at dundee.ac.uk
Wed Sep 3 16:54:22 BST 2014

Dear Julio
Great news to hear that you are adopting OMERO at RIO.
Having an "off-line import" is certainly a feature that will be useful to other sites since many institutes have a similar model to run their facility (hour fee)

As you probably already know, the development of the Java client started several years ago.
We made technical decisions at the time based on what was available and if not available we had to write our own libraries, e.g. event bus library, concurrency library. So some sections of the code are in serious need of modernisation.
We are now exploring new avenues so we can take advantage of more modern technologies and also increase our client development velocity. We have not yet planned  any development. This depends on several factors.
In the meantime:

  *   we are adding key missing functionalities to both Java and Web clients e.g. Search, work on viewer, etc.
  *   We are extracting components out of the current Java client code base e.g. Work on the Java Gateway see https://github.com/openmicroscopy/openmicroscopy/pull/2363 so it is accessible to other Java clients. Feedback on what is needed will be much appreciate.

For the tagging tool,
Are you thinking to enforce tagging at import time? How do you see it  fit with your "off-line" import? Will it not be more suitable to write scripts with some of the concept of Douglas's tagging tool, scripts that you run post-import and if the images for example do not have the required metadata, the user is notified.

Cheers
Jmarie