[ome-devel] OMERO developments in Montpellier

Julio Mateos Langerak Julio.Mateos-Langerak at igh.cnrs.fr
Tue Sep 2 09:27:53 BST 2014

Dear all,

After a nice summer I’m posting for the first time in this list. Hope you also enjoyed the summer.

As some of you might know, at Montpellier RIO Imaging, we are going to adopt OMERO. We are interested in developing onto the OMERO platform and adapt some of the tools to meet some of our needs. We believe these developments will be very useful for the rest of the user community, mainly in the context of big core facilities. To give you an idea, we have some 700 users and 60 acquisition stations. For this we are planing to hire a developer for an initial period of 1 year (we have the financing for this already).

We are now going through the process of defining our priorities, seing which things are already done, being done or tried by others, etc etc… So any feedback is very very welcome. Also, we have to write a profile for the developer and that will depend to some extent on what we want to do.

What we really need is an "Off-line import”. The idea is to give the option, probably in the form of a second import button called something like “import off-line”. This will launch the import routine and the user can logoff the machine and the import will happen in the background without using too many resources. The advantage being that a next user can access the machine without his acquisition being disturbed by the import process. Also, as our facility works on a per hour fee, this will also benefit the users.

A second thing could be a better tagging tool in the importer. Maybe adopting the concept of Douglas in the auto-tagger.

Our initial idea is to work on the current java client and adapt it with to man features. What is you opinion on this?

Best, Julio

Julio Mateos Langerak, PhD.
OMX manager
Arnaud de Villeneuve Campus Imaging Facility
Montpellier RIO Imaging
Montpellier BIOCAMPUS, UMS3426
Institut de Génétique Humaine-CNRS
141, rue de la Cardonille