[ome-devel] integration with NIH AD

Blazej Pindelski b.pindelski at dundee.ac.uk
Wed Sep 3 10:11:06 BST 2014

On 2 Sep 2014, at 19:03, Yanling Liu <vrnova at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear OME developers,

Hi Yanling,

> In case you know anyone in NIH (www.nih.gov) has installed OMERO and integrated with NIH AD, please do let me know...
>
> The problem I am facing is LDAP won't work in NIH configuration, instead, we rely on Centrify (http://www.centrify.com/) tool on Linux server for AD authentication.
>
> Please don't be scared by the new name of Centrify, the short answer is that we simply do a system call to a tool called adinfo to verify user credential.
>
> The adinfo tool is a command line tool provided by Centrify. It takes user name and password and returns query result. We have had servers using the adinfo tool for couple years and it seems to be stable.
>
> Do you have any plan to integrate OMERO with Centrify?
>
> If we create a new OMERO plugin to deal with Centrify based AD authentication, do you have any recommendation in terms of implementation? How could we contribute it back to OMERO source?

Centrify has been discussed before as a way of authenticating users. Please see http://www.openmicroscopy.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6123.
The mentioned forum thread should have everything required to implement a password provider in OMERO.

I also updated my example branch (https://github.com/bpindelski/openmicroscopy/commits/centrify), so that it's guaranteed to compile on top of the develop branch of OME. The example code should work for both the develop and dev_5_0 branches.

With kind regards,
Blazej