[ome-devel] omero at EBI

Johan Henriksson mahogny at areta.org
Fri Apr 11 17:09:50 BST 2014

Hello everyone,

I am setting up OMERO 5 here at EBI. On the good side, there is no lack of
computers to use. On the bad side, we don't have root access and we are a
bit restricted in which software we can use, and it is a bit dated

The first question is for the database. While I totally prefer psql, EBI
has semi-standardized on using mysql and it generally saves a lot of pain
(for us and admins) to stick to their set up frameworks

Thus I wonder, how hard it would be to get OMERO to run on mysql instead of
psql? I know you use PL/SQL (for something) which I don't expect mysql to
support, just for a starter. How tight is this linkage?

While at it, have you looked into how to make OMERO scale for larger
installations? e.g. how to run multiple reduntant instances? Do you have
any documentation or just general advice on do and don'ts in this context?

Yours sincerely,
Johan Henriksson

Johan Henriksson, PhD
Karolinska Institutet / European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI)
Labstory - Integrated laboratory documentation and databases (
www.labstory.se)
http://mahogny.areta.org  http://www.endrov.net

<http://www.endrov.net>