[ome-devel] OMERO 5 server and client match problem

Jianguo Rao JIANGUO.RAO at igmm.ed.ac.uk
Mon Oct 14 10:44:42 BST 2013

Dear Roger,

Many thanks for your reply which makes a lot of sense and the reasons
coincident with what I suspected. Something relevant to matching
between server and client, changed in the current resource, most
probably the OMERO model itself, as you said the ice3 and ice4
interface should not affect match. One possibility, I can imaging, is
the OMERO model itself has been changed from the v.5.0.0-beta1 to the
current resources ( Mine is just the resource directly cloned from
github a few days ago.)

Your help is highly appreciated.

BR,

Jianguo

Quoting Roger Leigh <r.leigh at dundee.ac.uk> on Mon, 14 Oct 2013 10:10:24 +0100:

> On 11/10/2013 11:29, Jianguo Rao wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> The downloads OMERO 5 client(ice3.3) seems not working with the OMERO 5
>> server(ice3.4) compiled from current source repository.
>>
>> The OMERO 5 client(ice3.3) downloaded from
>> http://downloads.openmicroscopy.org/omero/, it only provides OMERO 5
>> client(ice3.3) version and said should work for both version of
>> server(ice3.3 &ice3.4)
>>
>> My test on linux is, the downloaded client(ice3.3), could not talk to my
>> compiled OMERO 5 server(ice3.4). But it works on my own complied
>> client(ice3.4).
>>
>> Any one has the same problems? we need to get this resolved, therwise,
>> we have to provide OMERO 5 clients(ice3.4) for our users which we try to
>> avoid ( We would prefer our users to get the OMERO 5 clients directly
>> from OMERO website )
>
> Dear Jianguo,
>
> The ice 3.3 vs ice 3.4 versions should not pose any interoperatibility
> problems--these ice versions should be fully compatible with one another.
>
> The most likely problem is that the packaged 5.0.0-beta1 downloads from
> downloads.openmicroscopy.org did not match the version of of the OMERO
> server in use.  Above, you mention that you complied from the current
> source repository.  Do you know which branch and commit were built?
> Unless it was the "v.5.0.0-beta1" tag (commit bc984874c), it's quite
> likely that the two builds are not completely compatible.  Since the
> release of 5.0.0-beta1, a number of changes have been made for the
> upcoming -beta2 release, and at this point the API is not yet completely
> stable.  With your self-built clients, these are probably matching the
> server version exactly.  With the downloaded clients, it's unlikely they
> are compatible with the server.
>
> To resolve the problem, I would suggest these possibilities:
> - if you require users to use the downloadable OMERO 5 clients, then it
> would be safest to also only use the downloaded server, or to build from
> the same git version as the 5.0.0-beta1 release.
> - if you need to use a more recent git version than the 5.0.0-beta1
> release, then you should also build the clients for this release as
> well, and /not/ use the downloadable OMERO 5 clients.
> Both will result in a working setup, the client and server versions
> matching in both cases, but which is most acceptable will depend upon
> your priorities.
>

> Regards,
> Roger
>
> --
> Dr Roger Leigh -- Open Microscopy Environment
> Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation and Expression,
> College of Life Sciences, University of Dundee, Dow Street,
> Dundee DD1 5EH Scotland UK   Tel: (01382) 386364

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.