[ome-devel] Pyramid creation and NFS

Josh Moore josh at glencoesoftware.com
Wed May 22 11:01:40 BST 2013

On May 21, 2013, at 1:51 PM, Julien Jourde wrote:

> Hi again Colin,

Hi Julien,

> As I said earlier, I've been able to start up the Tables server with an NFS partition by moving the .omero directory on my local drive and creating a symlink on the NFS partition.

Though this will progress you a step further, it hasn't actually corrected the locking semantics that OMERO requires.

cF. http://lists.openmicroscopy.org.uk/pipermail/ome-users/2012-September/003287.html

> I thought that would also solved my other problem: pyramids are not created when someone imports a large image. But no.
>
> I tested something: I created a "Pixels" directory on my local drive and a symlink on my NFS partition ... and the pyramid creation system worked again.

Java will follow the symlinks for reading files, but what's the problem at the moment is where Java is trying to *write* files, since it's attempting to protect those with a channel lock on a RandomAccessFile.

> So, how can I restore the pyramid creation system without moving the Pixels directory on my local drive? I don't have enough free space on it and only the NFS partition is backuped by my IT department.

Ultimately, to continue using NFS, you'll have to guarantee the locking semantics, which can be somewhat involved. You can start by describing your NFS version & setup, and perhaps there's someone on the list who can give you pointers.

Cheers,
~Josh.