[ome-devel] Error building Bio-Formats develop

Roger Leigh r.leigh at dundee.ac.uk
Thu May 2 18:25:00 BST 2013

On 02/05/2013 16:52, Curtis Rueden wrote:

>  > If so, the build is completely identical--the sources which get
>  > generated on the fly from the templates by xsd-fu are identical bar a
>  > few lines comments in the top  boilerplate.
>
> OK, good to know.
>
> One more question/concern: presumably, the Bio-Formats build no longer
> functions on Windows, due to the Python + Genshi dependency. With the
> Ant build, this might be non-trivial to solve. But solving the issue
> with Maven is very straightforward: include the "ome-xml" module in the
> reactor only within a profile. Then, when that profile is not enabled,
> Maven will resolve the ome-xml dependency from the remote repository
> rather than regenerating and rebuilding the code. This would eliminate
> the need to install Genshi, and make it easier to build on Windows
> again. What do you think?

I'm afraid I'm no authority on Maven, so I'm not sure.  Maybe Melissa or
Josh have a better take on this than me.  I assume that this will work
correctly on Windows if python is installed?

One thing which might be an issue is that while xsd-fu generates the
ome-xml model code, which could potentially be downloaded, it also
generates all the MetadataStore, MetadateRetrieve and all the other
Metadata-related classes in scifio, including OMEXMLMetadataImpl.  Given
that these are paired with the generated model code, generating one and
downloading the other may result in breakage on model changes,
or changes in xsd-fu or the templates which change the generated code.

While it's not all enabled yet, I'd like to have the model selectable as
an ant properly (it's xsdfu.schemaver), so that it's possible to change
to a different model when building.  There's currently some hardcoded
"2012-06" versions which need to be switched to change to use the
property value.

Regards,
Roger

--
Dr Roger Leigh -- Open Microscopy Environment
Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation and Expression,