[ome-devel] cosign and kerberos

Bill Hill Bill.Hill at igmm.ed.ac.uk
Fri Aug 16 13:33:20 BST 2013

Josh,

Thanks for replying.

Some background: We're starting to use OMERO in an image submission
system for an NIH funded project (see: http://www.gudmap.org/ and
http://upload.gudmap.org ). The editors of the GUDMAP database are
external and so need to authenticate. Rather than have users
authenticate for each database, web app, etc, we're looking at SSO.
We're thinking of installing a local instance (ie on an HGU server)
of CoSign rather than use UoE's CoSign implementation (EASE
https://www.ease.ed.ac.uk/). Once in place this SSO system will
probably be adopted by our other databases (EMAGE, EMAP, etc) where
privileged access is needed.

 From your reply it looks like there's no working example of CoSign
(or any other SSO system) being used by OMERO although it should be
possible to implement by following
http://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/omero4/developers/Server/PasswordProvider.html
maybe using the LdapPasswordProvider (at least as an example) and
writing a CosignPasswordProvider.

I'll let you know where we decide to go with this.

Cheers,
Bill